WHAT DOES CONTEMPORARY STYLE MEAN?
At some point, there’s probably been a time where we’ve all confused modern interior design with contemporary style, and though they share similarities, contemporary home decor stands all on it’s own.
Contemporary decorating style is classic yet thoroughly of the moment and timeless thanks to a light-handed, spare take on decorating to ensure it will never feel dated.
While modern decor can feel cold, limiting, and overtly minimal, contemporary style is calming and serene, and is peppered with a focus on architectural elements, decorative details, attention to bold scales, and a concise color palette to create a warm space with easy sophistication.
Simplicity, clean lines, plays on texture, and quiet drama are fundamental in achieving a perfectly balanced contemporary style home.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE CONTEMPORARY STYLE?
1. Contemporary style is great for minimalists looking to steer clear of fussy prints, a heady mix of era’s, and for those looking to create a simple yet thoroughly realized harmony between varying elements while focusing on the architectural elements of a room.
2. Contemporary style is great for minimalists looking to steer clear of fussy prints, a heady mix of era’s, and for those looking to create a simple yet thoroughly realized harmony between varying elements while focusing on the architectural elements of a room.
3. As contemporary decorating style is timeless and defined by a classic approach to bringing a room together through luxurious simplicity, it’s a design movement that’s well worth the effort and investment as it will never go out of style and is easy to update.
HOW DO YOU CREATE CONTEMPORARY STYLE?
Here’s a quick rundown of the architectural details you’ll want to highlight to inject your home with contemporary interior design effortlessly:
- For a contemporary living room, keep flooring simple with a classic wooden floor and source rugs that are simple in pattern and carpets that feature a low pile with geometric shapes.
- Source lighting that’s simple yet effective in showcasing contemporary home decor and architectural features.
- A mix of metal, stone, and opaque or clear glass.
- Make use of structural elements like molding and exposed brick walls and pipes for added character in an otherwise simple room.
CONTEMPORARY STYLE COLORS
A go-to when considering contemporary interior design, neutrals along with gray, black, and white, are a signature of the design style and are used to define and ground a room.
Think of a neutral setting as a great starting point to bring in hints of color and a foundation for expressive artworks and objects with more personality. By selecting the right neutrals for a contemporary living room, you’ll be able to bring in smaller pops of riotous color that you can easily switch around depending on your mood.
But if you’re looking to go full-on with color, say an entire wall, we suggest keeping your trims, ceiling, and flooring light to compliment contemporary decorating style cues with flair.
CONTEMPORARY STYLE FURNITURE
When it comes to contemporary interior design, less is always more. Select contemporary style home furnishings that are statement-making conversation starters while remaining pared down, with smooth, clean, geometric silhouettes and straight lines. Think solid hues and finishes, natural materials, and unadorned surfaces.
For upholstered pieces in a contemporary living room, go for neutrals in textured natural fabrications like wool, cotton, linen, silk, and jute, and bring in pops of color with throws and pillows that steer clear of loud patterns as clean and concise is the mood you should be fixed on.
CONTEMPORARY STYLE TEXTILES
As contemporary interior design calls for clean lines and studied simplicity, textiles are an easy outlet to help you avoid a cold contemporary style home by bringing in plays on texture, tonal pattern, and concise color combinations.
Stick with neutrals, stripes, and geometric prints in small amounts to bring in personality and to complement a well-designed contemporary living room with hints of unexpected, yet considerately placed play.
CONTEMPORARY STYLE ACCESSORIES
Though furnishings call for a minimal approach, decorative accessories are where you can get creative when looking for a contemporary style home refresh.
From lamps to décor objects to artworks, sometimes the best contemporary interior design approaches rely on the extras you bring into a room after sourcing furnishings that you’re committed to.
For contemporary living room ideas, go for small elements that’ll double as unique conversation starters while adding depth and personality to an otherwise minimal room.